WORK AT RAD
Rights and Democracy is grassroots organization in Vermont and New Hampshire dedicated to organizing everyday people to make their voices heard and win real change for their communities. Here are some existing job opportunities, pending confirmation of grant funding and resource mobilization efforts.
REGIONAL GRASSROOTS ORGANIZER
Locations: (NH) – Hillsboro County, Seacoast Region
Rights & Democracy (RAD) is a member-led, people’s organization in Vermont and New Hampshire. Our mission is to shift the political landscape through electoral and community organizing to ensure that the values and needs of our communities guide the policies of our government. We are doing this by building a popular movement to advance human rights, dismantle economic inequality, racism, and sexism, and to build a real democracy.
Rights & Democracy’s Regional Grassroots Organizer is a full-time staff position that is based out of Vermont or New Hampshire and reports to the state Organizing Director. The Regional Grassroots Organizer lives and works in a geographic region where RAD is developing one or more regional chapters.
- Working with the staff Organizing Team, under the direction of the state Organizing Director, to implement the organizing program and successful grassroots campaigns to build multi-issue regional volunteer member-led organizing chapters, through developing our dues-paying membership and volunteer base—with a leadership ladder based on vision set by the RAD Board—and outreach across multiple issue campaigns.
- Follow up on “hot leads” from outreach.
- Conduct 1-on-1 organizing meetings with prospective leaders and develop plans with emerging leaders for their growth in the organization and public arena.
- Communicate with community members and establish conversations about key issues facing their communities, in support of RAD issue campaigns.
- Facilitate or support regional chapter meetings, with regional steering committee members.
- Plan and/or conduct political education events and skill-based training in coordination with Organizing Director and issue campaign/program leads and Political Education Committee.
- Develop regional workgroups across RAD’s multiple issue areas in coordination with issue campaign/program leads and Policy Committee.
- Coordinate with Organizing Director, issue/program leads/campaign teams, and Policy Committee to plan and bottomline local issue campaign events.
- Coordinate any local endorsement processes with Movement Politics Committee and Organizing Director.
- Supervise regional electoral organizing.
- Bottomline other regional RAD events in coordination with the Executive Director, Organizing Director, and other senior staff.
- Support strong membership communications to engage in issue fights, advance our mission, and build a democratic base.
- Meet daily/weekly/monthly organizing goals.
- Meet daily/weekly/monthly reporting and data entry deadlines.
- Ensure strong/accurate data collection in our database.
- Support any RAD regional interns or Organizing Fellows, with the guidance and support of the Organizing Director. This may include serving as a canvass trainer, conducting skill-based trainings and political education, supporting interns or Organizing Fellows to develop work plans, and conducting supervisory meetings.
- Working with Organizing Director and issue campaign/program leads, identify potential strategic and solidarity partnerships with base-building organizations—labor and community-based organizations—and allies for movement building.
- Identify potential dues paying members of RAD and make regular small-dollar donor asks for leaders to invest in the organization. This includes participating in any and all fundraising campaigns that RAD conducts.
Experience and capacities needed:
- At least 1 year of campaign experience in support of an issue, initiative, candidate, or coordinated electoral campaign; experience in labor organizing is preferred
- Background in popular education is preferred.
- Experience using NGP VAN/VoteBuilder or a relational database
- Ability to efficiently enter data
- Proficiency with basic computer and smartphone applications, including Google Suite
- Goal-orientation and willingness to hold self accountable
- Excellent personal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with coalitions and the staff and leadership of allied organizations
- Energetic outlook and commitment to the mission and grassroots approach to change
- Self-reflection: desire to improve your skills and willingness to reflect on your own experiences and your stake in this work
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work long hours including nights and weekends on a regular basis
- A team orientation that combines collegiality and creativity to drive and motivate others
- Must have regular access to a car; ability to travel to locally and within the state
The salary range for this position is expected to be $41,000 – $50,000 depending on years of experience with strong benefits.
Please send cover letter, resume and three references to RAD’s Executive Director, James Halsam at email@example.com
RAD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.
We believe rights and democracy are won when people come together to make their voice heard. Join Rights & Democracy a become a part of making positive change in our community!
Rights & Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Rights & Democracy does not discriminate against or tolerate harassment of any employee because of race, color, gender identity, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, any other basis prohibited by law, or protected activity under the anti-discrimination statutes.