As a Republican governor, Governor Sununu's opinion is of unique importance to the Trump administration and Congressional leaders. Other Republican governors have voiced their opposition to the repeal of the Affordable Care Act. Together, we can pressure our governor to stand with us and stand up for our health care. Sign the petition below!
Governor Chris Sununu - Stand Up For Our Health Care
Dear Governor Chris Sununu,
Since well before the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), New Hampshire has been committed to ensuring its residents have access to high quality health care through the expansion of Medicaid in 2016, and other initiatives.Unfortunately, our state’s tradition of prioritizing the health of its people and communities, and the health of thousands of Granite Staters, are currently under threat.
More than 63,000 people in New Hampshire have health care coverage now thanks to the Affordable Care Act and its expansion of Medicaid. Under the Republican American Health Care Act that passed the House of Representatives on Thursday, May 4, more than 50,000 Granite Staters will lose their health insurance coverage. This will have a direct impact on their physical well-being and quality of life. Moreover, these proposals will cut funding from our already overstretched state budget, cost our state jobs, undermine our health care providers, and compromise New Hampshire’s efforts to address the opiate epidemic and protect the public.
The Health Care for America Now (HCAN) report, A Cost Too High: The Financial Harm of the Republican Plan to Eliminate Health Care, lays out this grim picture in further detail. We ask you to seriously consider the risks that Affordable Care Act repeal poses to Granite Staters’ health and economic security, which are detailed in this report.
Those impacts include:
- 118,000 Granite Staters stand to lose their health coverage.
- Approximately 597,000 Granite Staters with pre-existing conditions like asthma, diabetes, and cancer could once again be denied affordable, comprehensive coverage that actually covers their health care needs.
- Approximately 691,000 Granite Staters with private health coverage (including 132,000 children) and 266,000 New Hampshire seniors on Medicare, will lose guaranteed access to free preventive care, like blood pressure screenings, immunizations, and cancer screenings, and could be subject to much high prescription drug costs.
As our Governor, you have a unique opportunity to stand with Granite Staters in resisting these harmful policies. We know that as a Republican governor your opinion is of particular importance to the Trump administration and Congressional leadership. Following the lead of other Republican governors, we call on you to protect the people of New Hampshire’s health care.
We ask that you:
- Tell President Trump, Speaker Ryan, and Senator McConnell that you oppose the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, including the repeal of the Medicaid expansion,
- Publicly oppose any effort to turn Medicaid into a block grant or to cap federal funding for Medicaid,
- Support the efforts of New Hampshire residents to improve our state’s health care system and ensure high quality health care is accessible to us all, today and in the future.
When it comes to health care security, we urge you to stand up and lead on behalf of New Hampshire residents and stand up for our values. We ask that you use your unique position to resist the repeal of the Affordable Care Act and Congressional Republicans’ proposed changes to Medicaid and Medicare, which will do irreversible harm to thousands of people in New Hampshire; the people you have the distinct privilege to represent. Take action now and stand with us.